Friday 25 September 2020

Captain's Blog: False starts and new beginnings...

After a false start... or two... or three.. years(!), I'm finally in a position to start thinking about machinimating again... but doing what?

I've managed to finally get The Movies working (as far as I can tell) on Win 10 (still need to check how it renders, etc), and recovered some mods, textures and even script files from an old hard drive I checked recently, so I've got at least a basic start.  But what to do with it?

Moviestorm appears to have shrivelled on the vine (sadly, as that had massive potential, but ShortFuse nowadays seem to be focussed on their new VR app and have left their former flagship project to wither on the vine like a red headed step child (shades of Lionhead there, I feel).  If they ever decide to drop the price of the perpetual license (I own most of the content packs and with a 4 year old in the current financial climate, shelling out £150 for a piece of software that I used to love, which has effectively been abandoned, isn't an option, plus I need the modding workshop which, last time I checked, I couldn't get to work, so that's not an option), I'd probably pick it back up like a shot.

iClone I just can't justify; while I have v4, I never really gelled with it and just don't have the time to devote to learning how it all works these days, plus the amount it'd cost to get what I'd need to do half what I'd probably like to with it just isn't an option.

Most of the "old school" team have gone, moved onto other things a loooooong time ago, and my old haunts and hangouts are nowhere near as lively as they once were.  I don't have access to the same talented crew of enthused people I used to work with, and I have a lot less time now than I used to have to devote to such creative endeavours as I once did.

But, I'll do something... even if just to prove I've still got it... but I dunno what, yet :)

If anyone is still around, drop me a comment below or even drop in and visit TMU again, even if just to shoot the breeze (although if you want to enthuse me with something new, I'm all ears 👂)


No comments:

Captain's Blog: TMU has resurfaced!

Happened to notice the dial on my browser suddenly showing the TMU site thumbnail again today, so tried going onto tmunderground and... it w...